Outpourings

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Howdy! How quickly the time is going! April 23rd already! The year'll be over soon!

Anyway, lets talk about popular things. I'm inclined to agree with most of the people that commented on my last blog. Popular doesn't mean bad and anyone who turns against something because its popular is ultimately losing out.

Whilst the Da Vinci Code isn't well-written its a good yarn but more than anything its accesible and, I suppose, that is one of the things that makes it popular. It doesn't mean I'm enjoying it though. So, I hear you say, why am I reading it? I suppose I want to know what the fuss is about. So I read, Harry Potter and The Curious Incident of the Dog and the Nightime for the same reason and didn't really enjoy either of them.
Do you ever do this?

So last week was insanely busy. Dissapointing Champions League Football on Wednesday. I went to the Opera at Glyndebourne with Miss T on Thursday (such a different world), line dancing for three and half hours on Friday (I could barely stand up by the end but, boy, did I love it!) and Eurovsion on Saturday (I really hate it! Its shit and yet...I watch it).

I watched two movies on Saturday. The first is Six Degrees of Separation starring Will Smith and Stockard Channing and is sublime! I love the way it keeps you hooked and builds. Then I watched the Contender about American Politics which was one of those films with lots of rousing speeches a la the West Wing. Good though.

Then last night I watched Mr and Mrs Smith! And I was impressed. I was expecting utter drivel but it wasn't at all. The joke of them both being assasins and yet being married wore a little thin but it was good fun! I'd like other peoples opinions on this...

So...things that are good;
Bank Holiday weekends
That soccer aid thing on ITV (I'm clutching at straws)
Trains

Not so good
Work
Illness (as in flu and stomach issues and things)
Apathy (ie not being able to think of things to put in these stupid lists)

But that brings us to this week's question.

We had a situation in our office recently where some people wanted to put up an England flag to celebrate the World Cup. Now, I'm into football as much as the next (gay) man but I was not at all comfortable with a flag being up because of the associations that that flag has. People say "Thats silly - the flag isn't racist" but I still feel uncomfortable.

So...would you feel comfortable (or proud) displaying your country's flag in a prominant position?

5 Comments:

At 6:35 pm, Blogger Laurie said...

A flag? In a prominent place? Not MY flag, buster. But let me tell you something...
Up here on the Tundra, flags are seen to beautiful things of great value and dignity. They're used on birthdays and wedding days. They will doubtless be hoisted in honour of Christ's ramble up the stairway to heaven this coming Thursday. But last Wednesday really took the mick. It was national day, a flag-tastic celebration of all things monarchic, nationalistic and a wee bit introverted. Typisk norsk. I put a flag (not mine) in my kitchen window box and felt something like pride.

 
At 6:37 pm, Blogger Laurie said...

And by the way: shouldn't the question really be, why are we ashamed of our flag in Britain (and no, I'm not a secret UKIP voter, just interested, that's all)?

 
At 8:40 am, Blogger Kelly said...

I am confused. What are these associations that you are not comfortable with?

I work in the office and my stipulation was that I was happy to have a flag up but just as long as it was a plain St George's Cross - not the stupid one that we have with ENGLAND plastered across it.

Come on people, do you honestly need it spelt out for you? I think it is such a shame that people feel the need to have it spelt out.

Oh and I have a question for you. Is it wrong that I want an England football shirt?

 
At 10:22 am, Blogger Mouldy said...

I am not ashamed of the Union Flag but the St George Cross has been hijacked by far right extremists. That is why?

And I want an England shirt too. They are nice!

 
At 2:49 pm, Blogger Retro Girl said...

I have no problem with flags on poles...I probably wouldn't flinch if it were in the workplace..and displayed appropriately and respectfully.

In Canada where my hubby is from, they have flags everywhere...on poles, and buildings, but also miniature ones on houses, cars, clothes, hats, gardens, restaurant signs...they're fiercely proud and plaster their flag everywhere :-) I tease him about it... I asked him if they wear a maple leaf on their shorts (knickers) lol...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home