Outpourings

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Twice in one day!

I have a lot to say today.

Last week I asked how your year was going. The fairy has had a great on so far which is brilliant for her. Every time I see her I see how happy she is. So thats good.

My year has been ok. I feel a lot more like myself this year if that makes any sense. But there have been some actual issues to deal with. Mostly they centre around parting from people which can be a hard thing to deal with. But change can have good aspects too. Who knows?

Anyway, I've been to Paris this week. It was marvellous. I have never seen a more beautiful city. If you havn't been, go as soon as you can. I cannot think of one thing that I didn't like about it. Leave me your Paris stories in the Comments!

Bookwise; I'm with Nick Hornby this week. He's a tricky one. Very readable and yet there is something deeply unsatisfying about his latest book. I think it lies in the characters. I'll keep you informed.

I've just booked tickets to go and see Kate Rusby in Brighton in September. I've wanted to see her live for over 5 years and finally she has come far enough south for me to go. Can't wait.

I go Line Dancing and I'm not ashamed of it. Comments please.

Things annoying me;
Time going too quickly.
People who want to move house all the time.
Unpredictable British weather
Unpredictable public transport

Things that are good;
Eurostar
Country Music (again not ashamed)
Blogging (please note new found enthusiasm)

And so we come to this weeks question;
In Paris the four of us were sat around having a coffee and one the girls (lets call her A) was telling us about her newly found ethical life. She doesn't shop at Tescos, she buys organic and Fair Trade, she uses the bus and she recycles. So my question is this;
How easy is it to live an ethical life and is it worth it?

5 Comments:

At 9:01 pm, Blogger Paul 'Fuzz' Lowman said...

Totally worth it, but totally hard to dedicate yourself to it. I don't act on my green impulses nearly as much as I should. The governemnt should spend alot more money making it easier (even compulsory in regards to some issues - recycling etc) for the public to "go green." They need to set the example, & I think the Torie's 'Vote Blue, Go Green'line, which was a bit of a gamble, really worked - I think people are concerned about green issues, but want & need the government to take the lead on them. (For the record, I have no idea if Cameron et al really give two hoots about the enviroment - my feeling is that he probably does, but his party still couldn't care less.

 
At 9:09 am, Blogger LĂ©onie said...

I think worth it. It is expensive, though, and time consuming. Of course the expenditure will be worth it in the long term, but I don't think that we will begin to take it seriously until it is facilitated in some way by the government. I simply don't have the money to 'think green' all the time.

I do things like hardly ever taking plastic bags if I don't really really need them, and walking places a lot. I try to recycle but it is so difficult to know what goes where. It's tricky.

Paul, I also feel that David C cares about the environment, and hopefully it will seep into the consciousnesses of others by his awareness...

 
At 9:55 am, Blogger Mouldy said...

I've found that it depends where you live as to how Green you can be. Here in Lewes we have good recycling but down the road in Hove it was rubbish.

The expense thing is a factor though, isn't it? Its a shame. Also, Tesocs is so easy. They might rob African farmers blind and destroy indepentant business int he UK but they make shopping much more fun.

The Tory's may be talking about being Green but I don't believe it for a minute. On their Website there are "6 Key Challenges". For a party making so much of their commitment to environmental issues you would expect one of these targets to be the Environment. It isn't. Mr Cameron may ride his bike to work (with his car following him behind carrying his briefcase) but the Tories are the party of big business and low tax and these two things don't go well with a green agenda.

 
At 1:24 pm, Blogger Kelly said...

I try to recycle but cannot afford to buy organic, fair trade food from local shops all the time. I wish it was possible but everything is so expensive and your money goes a lot further in Tesco's I am afraid.

 
At 10:04 am, Blogger Miss D said...

Ha ha - so the only blog identity I have is my school blog that I set up for my kids to use for revision!!! But it'll do!

I haven't been to Tescos for 2 months now. Not out of conscious avoidence really, just using the local shop more and the local fruit and veg store.

I put bottles out for recycling and once a month go to the paper deposit thingy. I do feel bad about not cycling to work more - it's only a 10 minute journey.

Is it easy - no, because the world we live in is designed to make us lazy. What the hell is that advert with the oven which they've made easier to look into? EASIER TO LOOK INTO!!! Shocking indication of our lard laden times.

Also - everyone should recycle because Eddie does the adverts and Eddie is God.

Amen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home