Outpourings

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Waving the Flag

So I answered the question last week before I asked it. Which kind of defeats the object. I shall do better this week.

In summary; Big Mould doesn't like flags.

"What's good, Big Mould?"
Bluegrass versions of Van Halen classic
Salad - (if I have any American readers can you let me know what is in a Cob Salad - I was watching Curb Your Enthusiasm and there is a funny episode involving a man in a wheel chair and a Cob Salad and I was mystyfied what it meant!)
Nearly holiday time.

"And not so good?"

Email disagreements about Colonic Irrigation (do not EVEN get me started!)
Unpredictable weather - I mean hale stones in May - what is occuring?
People who don't reply to texts, emails and phone calls.

So to this week's question;

Modern morality and manners

What instance of bad manners infuriates you the most?


Shout out to the Fairy who is ill and has such a deep voice that I thought she was a man earlier.

Oh and I have read the NME this week. I was not impressed with Preston claiming to be Rock and Roll and some shit for brains teenage sensation claiming that Steps and S Club 7 should be called pop but should be called shit! Whatever!

3 Comments:

At 1:39 pm, Blogger Kelly said...

You thought I was a man? Thanks sweetheart.

I hate bad manners full stop but I think the thing that gets my blood boiling is when people do not just tact. Some people think honesty is the best policy and I agree with that but in order for it to be effective you need to add a little tact too.

 
At 10:03 pm, Blogger Paul 'Fuzz' Lowman said...

Re: NME. Rock/Indie stars who have a go at 'pop' music always justify it by saying 'Oh, y'know, it's not that I'm some sorta snob, like, I'm not being sniffy about pop music per se, just 'bad' pop music. I like 'good' pop music.' And then they'll quote a 'good pop' band who cleary are NOT pop at all, like I think she mentioned The Clash, who - fair play- wrote a lot of poppy, hooky songs, but cannot be meaningfully understood -for better or worse - as a 'pop' band in the same way that S-Club 7 were a pop band. By choosing the Clash or similar (T-Rex is another one they always mention) they simply confirm that they don't like 'pop' music at all, and infact subscribe to a very narrow rock orthodoxy, ie the one that says The Clash were a really great band. Which they were. It's like saying, 'Oh, I really like things that are blue. For instance, I like grass.' "I like pop muisc. For instance, I really like the Sun Ra Arkestra." It's very pretentious, because the subtext is that a) their understanding of what is and what should be considered as 'pop' is very broad and b) the music they ACTUALLY like is so OUT THERE and SUPER HIP that they even consider The Clash to be a simple 'pop band.' Urrgh.

It must be pointed out that the NME itself has always & continues to be much more pop/commercial friendly than most of it's readers, and often despair in the letters page about their readerships idiotic indie snobbery. Some years ago they put Destiny's Child (actual GOOD POP, if you like) on the front cover and the response they got was terrifying. I actually wish they would be brave enough to put more 'good pop' on the front cover. The only people dumber than the NME writers are the people who read them.

 
At 7:00 am, Blogger Laurie said...

Re bad manners: what about those people who use other people's blogs to forward their own agenda? Two thumbs up, the Fuzz!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home